Following the launch of three limited-edition premium scents last year, this November, F1 Fragrances is introducing F1 Fragrances Engineered Collection, a new unisex offer of five EdPs. As with the first collection, UK designer Ross Lovegrove is the brainchild behind the packaging with its 3D-printed exoskeleton.
Both the pack and the fragrances of F1 Engineered Collection, who perfume license is held by Designer Parfums, are meant to channel the energy of Formula 1 racing, or what the company coins “the most visceral sport on the planet”. The five unisex EdPs are also a key part of the company’s ongoing strategy of developing Formula 1 into a lifestyle brand in a bid to expand its fan base.
The primary pack is comprised of two components: a 3D-printed “exoskeleton” inside of which is suspended a metallized glass bottle (Heinz Glas), whose form is designed to resemble a F1 car. Indeed, the exoskeleton is meant to offer the same protective role for the bottle as the Formula 1 car does to its driver. The piece is 3D-printed in a “high-impact” PU resin that Ross Lovegrove describes as “flowing beautifully during the melting process and acting as a sort of ‘shock absorber’”. Produced using Carbon’s Digital Light Synthesis (Carbon DLS) technology, production is said to take around one hour per piece; the finished component (cap, shell and clips) weighs in at just over 54 grams.
Anticipating the question of the necessity of having additional packaging on the bottle, Lovegrove argues that the exoskeleton can be produced on demand, meaning that there is no MOQ and that additive manufacturing is a zero-waste process as only the material needed is used. However, the piece remains purely decorative.
The five unisex scents were also composed to reflect different aspects and moments of the F1 racing experience:
· Precious Mettle, a woody scent is meant to evoke “the courage of racecar drivers before the race begins” (Louise Turner)
· Turn 1’s notes of leather, patchouli and pink pepper are reminiscent of burning rubber, rain and asphalt (Fabrice Pellegrin, Firmenich)
· Overtake 320, with hints of spicy cinnamon and bergamot, is meant to communicate the driver’s “adrenaline and concentration when overtaking a competitor” (Emilie Coppermann, Alexandra Carlin, Symrise)
· Neeum White, a fougère accord with notes of narcissus and iris, was composed to translate the feeling of crossing the finish line (Aliénor Massenet, Symrise)
· Carbon Reign evokes “celebrating victory after an intense race” through a bouquet of champagne, dry amber and woody notes (Pierre Gueros, Symrise)
The collection has launched exclusively on F1fragrances.com at a retail price of €225 per scent and will roll out to retail stores next spring. Consumers can also purchase the sample collection of five 1.5ml formats online.